Wednesday 6 July 2011

About me and my blog

Welcome to The Lonely Genome, my opinion-ridden corner of the internet. I'm Adam Henry, a nerdy wannabe scientist with more opinions than is healthy. I'm an atheist, liberal and gay. Essentially, I'm as stereotypically left as you can be.

I just left secondary school and by October I'll be studying genetics at Queens University Belfast. Hopefully by the end of it I'll be heading into a career in scientific research fully armed with a doctorate.

I'm from Northern Ireland, which I always felt to be about a few decades behind the rest of the western world (but that's for another time). I'm nestled pretty deep in the "Bible Belt" and had a fairly normal christian upbringing, which if anything catalysed my conversion to secularism.

I love to write, mostly my thoughts on things and sci-fi stories (I have a fictional universe in my head, how nerdy is that?), but I had no productive avenue for what I was writing. Hence, The Lonely Genome was created with the first free blogging service on Google.

In theory this blog will be filled with my day to day thoughts on current events, personal developments and other stuff I'm into (typical nerdy stuff like science, video games, books, technology and what have you). I'll probably post some musings on the goings-on of the atheist and gay movements, too.

The name is fairly meaningful. A friend of mine noted how me wanting to be a geneticist was ironic, because as a homosexual I'll probably never pass on my own genes (especially since I'm opposed to IVF and surrogate pregnancy). And so my blog is named in reference to this incongruity. My genome is doomed to never have the companionship of other gametes.

Anyway, I hope anyone who ever reads my blog enjoys it. I'm sure as hell looking forward to writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment